Wastewater Plant Operator Trainee
Notice of Job Opening
Date: August 9, 2022
Department: Wastewater Division
Exp Date: Until Filled
Pay Range: Min:$15.93(Hr) / Max: $23.32(Hr)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions
satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein,
employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be
reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
This position is responsible for assisting in the safe and efficient operation of the City of LaGrange
Wastewater Treatment Facility on an assigned shift that includes weekends, holidays, 12 hour shifts, and subject to assigned overtime.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates and monitors water treatment plant equipment, adjusts controls on various equipment and machinery such as valves, pumps, chlorinators, filters and chemical feeders, and regulates the pressure and flow rates as necessary.
- Collects water samples and performs tests for pH, chlorine, turbidity, fluoride, alkalinity, hardness, etc.
- Adjusts process in response to water sample test results.
- Receives and verifies chemical shipments and fills chemical feeders as required.
- Operates, checks, and calibrates a variety of mechanical equipment, meters, valves, gauges, and instruments to ensure proper operation.
- Takes readings and records on charts various water treatment plant equipment, gauges and other related instrumentation.
- Maintains complete and accurate records and logs of duties completed.
- Notes changes made to process and test results.
- Chemically treats reservoirs to maintain water quality.
- Performs preventative and minor maintenance on assigned plant equipment.
- Performs daily inspection of plant mechanical systems.
- Performs janitorial duties at assigned plant.
- Cleans and/or paints equipment, pumps, motors, piping, etc.
- Performs grounds maintenance such as grass cutting, weed eating, and general clean up as needed.
- Receives incoming telephone calls, and determines the nature of caller’s concern after normal business hours.
- Coordinates and dispatches work crews as needed to include proper documentation.
- Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent and be able to read, write, and perform mathematical calculations at a high school or equivalent level.
- Experience sufficient to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprentice/internship or having had a similar position for one to three years.
- Must possess and maintain or have the ability to obtain a Georgia Wastewater Operator Class 3 certification within one year of employment.
- Must be a team player and possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License in the state of residency.
- Must be able to work 12 hour rotating shifts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of mathematics and chemistry.
- Skill in the use of small power tools, hand tools, and a soldering gun.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Ability to learn state and federal standards, rules, and regulations regarding operation of water treatment facilities.
- Ability to learn the methods and techniques of water treatment facility operations, maintenance, and repair.
- Ability to learn proper handling and storage of water treatment chemicals and physical and biological reactions.
- Ability to understand written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work independently and with other employees.
- Ability to read gauges and meters accurately.
- Ability to work outside under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to learn wastewater plant safety practices.
- Skill in the use of a wide variety of hand, plumbing and electrical tools.
- Ability to read and comprehend at the level for the job.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to exercise judgement.
- Ability to occasionally lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
The employee will be exposed to the following conditions in the work environment: hot or cold indoor
work environment; dirt, dust, grease, machinery and its moving parts; work in high, precarious places; raw
sewage, fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; risk of
electrical shock; and vibration. The work is often performed on rough ground and slippery surfaces in and
around wastewater. Protective devices such as masks, self-contained breathing apparatus, goggles, gloves,
hearing protectors, helmets, and other protective equipment or clothing is often required. The noise level
in this work environment is usually moderate to loud.
General Online Application
If you have any additional questions please email or call Human Resources: +1 706 883 2037, email@example.com